Hello to all my potential followers! These are my views, thoughts and experiences. I am a student at the Culinary Institute of America in California, although I am from Kentucky. Here I will bring many things to the table, from my views on food and cooking, to my extracurricular hobbies, including ballroom dance, watching University of Kentucky sports, playing video games, watching movies, and my former careers of history and political science. Anything that pops into my head is up for commentary! So, welcome to my world, and welcome to my table! :D

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Musings on Gifts of Happiness

One of my Chef instructors today brought up an interesting idea. Cooking makes him happy. Why is this so interesting? Everyone enjoys doing things which make them happier. But what he said after is what is most profound, and is likely what drives most of us to want to cook for a living: Cooking makes him happy. People are happy to eat his cooking. Their happiness doubles his own happiness. It therefore becomes an emotional experience for the cook, and a very human experience. A gift of food is given in exchange for the happiness that results from it being given.

This, I would say, is very true. When my friends have a bad day, my natural reaction is to want to bake them something. Or cook them a meal. Or even just take them out to dinner. Or share a bottle of wine. Food is very humanistic, because it is a shared trait. Everyone eats. Therefore the sharing of a meal, a drink, and good conversation with our friends is natural. It is how we connect with one another. And being the provider of that happiness and the memories that are conjured is profound.

Close your eyes for a moment, and envision the smell and taste of warm chocolate chip cookies. Where did that transport you? For me, the first thing that pops into my head is sitting around the fire in my grandparents living room, on that blue carpet. Big glass of milk in hand, cartoons on the TV, and my grandparents sitting there with me and enjoying that rich, chocolatey, delicious taste together. This, in turn, spirals into other memories from that place. Like the time the electricity went out and we cooked grilled cheese sandwiches in the fireplace and roasted marshmallows. All happy memories of my childhood, all good things to remember. Things which stir up happiness which is harder to remember when in the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment