Hello to all my potential followers! These are my views, thoughts and experiences. I am a student at the Culinary Institute of America in California, although I am from Kentucky. Here I will bring many things to the table, from my views on food and cooking, to my extracurricular hobbies, including ballroom dance, watching University of Kentucky sports, playing video games, watching movies, and my former careers of history and political science. Anything that pops into my head is up for commentary! So, welcome to my world, and welcome to my table! :D

Monday, November 28, 2011

Happy Belated Turkey Day!

After spending the past week with my family, and cooking approximately half of Thanksgiving dinner, I decided I would share what I made, and post a recipe for the dried fruit compote which I made up, and which turned out deliciously. First of all, let me say that this year, my Mother decided to change things up for Thanksgiving. While we had the same standard foods, she wanted things just a little different this year. I am TOTALLY against changing traditions. I love doing the same things, and eating the same things, for each holiday every year. But, I decided to go with it. Drink the Kool-Aid. Get in the spirit. And allow my own creativity to take over. In particular, I decided to put booze in everything I made. I figured it could only help to make the holiday dinner more magical, and the festive season seem even merrier and brighter. Even my teetotaling grandmother even approved! Thus, here is our menu:
Dad brined and roasted a turkey breast, and he and I put forth a joint effort in making the gravy. My godmother made a spinach and cheese straw casserole (in place of the usual broccoli cheese casserole), and my grandmother made the rolls. Now on to my contributions:
On Tuesday, I took my first stab at our family dressing recipe. I hand diced all of the mirepoix (celery, carrots and onions), and even threw my own touch on the recipe: some white wine. Turned out nicely, and tasted like it always does. Victory number one.
I decided to make an adjustment to our normal sweet potato casserole with the rice krispie, brown sugar and pecan topping. I made that same casserole souffle, but decided to change the topping. I made a bacon maple bourbon reduction for the top. Smoky, sweet, salty and all in all delicious. I moved on as conquering hero to my next recipe challenge: dessert.
Usually Thanksgiving is all about the pies. This year, I decided to make a cake. I made a chocolate brown sugar bourbon cake with caramel filling and dark chocolate bourbon buttercream and pecan florentine garnish. Not too shabby, I would say.
Finally, I made a dried fruit compote to replace the cranberry sauce. Here is how I made it:



JB's Dried Fruit Compote

In a bowl, combine one package dried figs (cut in half), dried apricots, craisins and dried cherries (or cherry infused craisins). Splash with Grand Marnier and then add in approximately 3/4 cup Port. Toss and allow to marinate, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

In a medium sauce pot, pour in approximately 1/4 cup honey. Zest and juice an orange into the pot. Add approximately 1/2 cup port into the pot, and then drain the rest of the liquid from the fruit into the pot as well. Add a pinch of kosher salt, a pinch of cloves, a pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of allspice. Add in 2-3 tablespoons of aged balsamic vinegar. Heat and stir, allowing the liquid to boil. Boil and reduce approximately 20 minutes over medium heat. Pour the liquid back over the fruit, stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment